As I wait for the new baby to arrive, I am spending lots and lots of time with her big brother. Jonathan had a nasty stomach flu (again!) this week, and there was a lot of throwing up and "my tummy hurts" the past three days. Poor kiddo woke up on Tuesday morning complaining of a tummy ache and now three days and half a dozen vomiting episodes later, here we are. I am glad that I have had the chance to be here for him as he has been sick. We had to move him to the old crib room to make room for his Grandparents who arrived yesterday and took over his bed. So he is on the air mattress with all of his cars and toys.
I was thinking last night about my old self and what I look like now -- almost 40 lbs and another pregnancy later. I do miss my old self sometimes. As much as we want another baby, sometimes I dream of what life was like (and hopefully will be like soon). So in tribute, here is what I miss about not being pregnant.
- Sleeping on my stomach - I hate sleeping on my side since my whole side often goes numb. I miss just lying on my stomach with my face in my pillow. That is one of the first things I plan to do after baby arrives. And every day afterwards! I want to just not have to stay to one side anymore!
- Getting out of bed or from the floor without a sharp pain going down my hips/legs - I can barely get out of bed anymore without leaping towards the dresser to hold me up. I can barely walk for about 10 to 15 minutes after getting up.
- Eating sushi - Yummy! I love sushi. My doctor is Japanese, so he said "safe" fish is okay in moderation since it is very common in Japan to have sushi throughout the pregnancy. But just to be safe, I limit my intake a lot. I do not drink alcohol or smoke or do anything else I cannot do during pregnancy, but sushi... ahhh!
- Holding Jonathan - I have had to explain to him that his Mommy can only hold him for short periods of time. Most of the time he understands, but when he is upset, he no longer comes to me for holding comfort since he knows I cannot pick him up for long. He still likes to try to sit in my lap, but he knows his little sister is taking up most of the space so there is very little space for him anymore.
- Feeling energetic - I am so tired all the time that I can sleep all day. I guess I am saving up for having a newborn. I sleep for 2 to 3 hours, go to pee, come back, sleep more. Off and on all night. Then I nap off and on all day.
- Tying my shoes - I just slip my shoes on now. It is too hard to put on my shoes with laces anymore. I can barely even see my feet. The tough part is still putting on J's shoes for going out. He will bring them to me, but I have to set him on a box or shelf so I can put them on. Otherwise, I have to get on the floor and risk #2 above.
- Wearing my skinny jeans - I miss my Lee jeans. I love them, but around 7 months, I had to give up for maternity jeans. I cannot wait to get back in them again.
- Not carrying around an extra 38 lbs - It will be nice to get back to my old weight. I gained about 42 lbs with J and it took me about 3 to 4 months old to go back. So I am getting close to the same weight as I was at the end of the last pregnancy. I hope I can lose the weight just as easily this time.
- Hugging my hubby - Face to face hugging is out of the question at this point. I miss just a quick hug after we get home from work. It will be nice to get a nice tight hug again.
- Dancing with Jonathan - I miss just turning on some music and dancing with my little boy. He loves to dance and he is always asking me to dance with him, but it has been awhile.
At the end of the day, I am so happy about the little baby coming this week, but I also have something to look forward to - being my old self again!