Hi Roadies! It's Jocelyn on the blog today with a card and tutorial.
I've developed quite an addiction to the Maya Road clips. They are so cute! Sometimes I'll leave the clips as-is, but often I like to alter them. I thought I would share a few different types of altered clips:
1) On the top left, I used a Ranger Alcohol Ink on the Geo Tag Love Clip. The color change wasn't dramatic, but it works for adding some subtle color.
2) On the top right, I colored the new Feather Clip with a Copic marker. This technique worked well for clips with tighter angles. I noticed I had to allow for a little dry time before picking up the clip.
3) On the bottom left, I gilded the Super Star Clip with Brass Liquid Gilding. It probably goes without saying, but I had to use the gilding in a well-ventilated area. This technique works great for clips with very fine details. To apply the liquid, I used a cheap craft sponge. Do not use a good paint brush as it will ruin the brush. Ask me how I know....
4) On the bottom right, I painted the Banner Love Clip with craft paint. Spray paint would work, too, but craft paint is inexpensive. It took a couple of coats and the drying time is longer, but the color is vibrant.
I also used one more technique, which is probably my favorite:
Using embossing powder, I heat embossed the Man's Best Friend Clip. Here's a little tutorial:
- Press the clip several times into VersaMark--you'll want to get in the grooves.
- Carefully pick up the clip with a craft pick (or tweezers) and set it on a craft mat.
- Sprinkle embossing powder on the clip. As a tip, I used the craft pick again so I could move the clip and pour back the excess embossing powder.
- Heat emboss the clip with a heat gun.
- Immediately after embossing, add a second coat of embossing powder (no VersaMark needed the second time).
- Let the clip dry for at least 5 minutes before touching it. Don't touch it right after embossing--it will burn!
I used the clip for a card I'll use for a friend getting a new puppy:
I started by embossing the background and layering two digital patterned papers. On top, I layered the Love Framed Sayings Transparency and a Vintage Doily Transparency. I tied the layers with Princess Jute Cording. Here's a close-up:
I layered the Man's Best Friend Clip over the Our Home Kraft Tag. Around the house, I added a few embellishments: the Gold Heart Tag Charm, Lucky Star Wood Button, and Mini Pom Pom Trim.
Here's one last close-up of the clip: